I found a cat I believe she is pregnant. Never been a cat owner before.

I work at an apartment complex and yesterday I came across a very friendly domesticated cat. I was uncertain if she belonged here, maybe she escaped and is now lost or maybe someone abandoned her. Well then there's more to the story, I am pretty sure my new friend is pregnant but I can not be certain. I also have never owned a cat before and am unaware of any behaviors to look for that might be concerning. I have taken her in and posted found cat posters in the meantime I would just like to keep her as comfortable as possible. I noticed today that she was laying in her litterbox which puzzled me. I also have a small dog who is unfamiliar with cats so I don't know if her lounging in the litter box is due to security or if that is just something they do. Please help.

Asked by Member 1143953 on Dec 6th 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Cecilia

Pregnant cats (or queens) will often desire to nest especially if they are close to delivery time. Try offering her a cardboard box with a blanket and she if she prefers that instead. It is also very common for scared or insecure cats to "hide" in their litter box. You see it a lot in animal shelters. No need for concern unless she starts to eat the litter or make a mess. She will stop the behavior once she feels secure.

Cecilia answered on 12/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When I handled the adoption center for the rescue I volunteered at, many of our "new" cats would lay in their litter boxes. Cats, especially pregnant ones, like little, enclosed areas where they feel safe. When my daughter fostered a pregnant queen, she set her up in her own room. She already had 5 cats and wanted to keep the queen comfortable and feeling safe. Rainey eventually had her kittens in a closet where my daughter had placed a blanket for a "nest". If you already have a dog, then you probably have a vet. If the cat allows you to handle her, take her in for a well-momma exam. Find out if she's healthy, disease/flea free and at that time, take notes on what the vet tells you about how to handle a pregnant cat/new mom/kittens. If the cat is pregnant, now is not a good time to try to make friends with the dog. You may, if you have the room, want to keep them separated until the kittens are gone. A honked off, protective momma cat can be mean to other animals. Good luck!