I feed 3 cats every morning that are left outside by their owners. Is there anything I can do to help them?

These cats are left out in the cold rain , snow, I have picked off numerous ticks. They jump in my car or run in front to stop me so they can get fed. I feel they are being neglected. SPCA won't do anything... What can I do?

Asked by Member 925505 on Nov 30th 2009 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

If you knew they were strays, you could trap them and take them to a no-kill shelter. But if they have an owner, there is not much you can do except to continue to help them as much as you can. Unfortunately a lot of people think it's ok to just leave cats outside to fend for themselves. My next door neighbor was upset when her cat disappeared and asked me if i saw him. He actually just moved over to the condos up the street because I think he found a nicer person to take care of him. (someone like you...LOL)

If you know who they belong to, you can contact your local animal control officer (through your police or sherrif's department) and have them cited for "animals at large". Many shelters also have a humane officer who can cite the people as well. Sometimes when you hit people in their wallet, they'll start behaving.

Mia

Honestly, if it were me, I would just take them. If they're not chipped, the owner probably isn't too concerned about them. You may even just ask the owner if you could take them.

Mia answered on 4/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sir Jumper

I fed a ferral kitty for over a month, but did not let him in the house. Because our local humane soiciety was so overloaded, I was on the waiting list for a long time and it was a month before they could accept him. In the mean time, he totally demolished the slider screen trying o get in. I was not in a position to take it to the vet, but couldn't really ignore hm, even tho he and my 2 indoor kitties 'talked thru the door every day.
I would have loved to bring him in, but was not in a poition to pay for his care in addition o my 2 presnt kitties.
Are there others in similar situatiuons and if so, what did yyou do?

Sir Jumper answered on 12/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer