Glinda

I fear one cat is playing too rough with the other. Help?

I have two cats, and since I adopted the younger one over a year ago, the two cats occasionally play fight. It's not violent at all, although my older cat is skittish and never seems to enjoy it. Recently, it's becoming all too common for their play fights to include a startled yelp from my older cat, and maybe even a small hiss.

Upon hearing this, I always separate them for a while, because it seems that my younger cat is playing too rough and doesn't know when to stop. I'm feeling very bad for my older cat. I don't like to hear her upset cries.

Why is my younger cat suddenly playing too rough? Is there anything I can do to reduce these play fighting incidents?

Extra Info:
Both cats are female and are spayed.
The fights never seem to be violent. I don't see claws or real aggression. It's often accompanied by the younger cat chasing the older one around the house.
My younger cat is about a year and a half old.
My older cat is about four years old.

Thank you for your help!

Asked by Glinda on Nov 7th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Bear

I will be very interesting in reading responses to your question. YOur not alone. I have a young one, 7months, that plays with my 1 year old rough... and every now and again i hear a yelp. Makes me very sad also. Just wanted you to know, your not alone.

Bear answered on 11/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If your cat was hurt or super-annoyed you would see her turn on the other. Don't let your human feelings get in the way of cat behavior. Treat them both the same and the younger one will mellow with time. I have a 2 1/2 month old kitten that has completely taken over my home at the moment. The thing is that the other three let her, because she is so small. The fact that you have two females does not help, but youngsters do not know how fiesty and strong they are (my arms are a scratched-up mess). So hang in there and know that your older one can take care of herself. The next time that you bring in a cat, make it a male to avoid same-sex dominance issues. You can also give extra play toys and buy a cat tree to keep them more occupied. ^_^