Tiger

i cat keeps pooping right outside of the litter box.

Its RIGHT beside it , on the carpet. I don't understand why he does that.

Asked by Tiger on Aug 8th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

He obviously knows where he has to "go", but there's a glitch in the system someplace. If he doesn't mind, watch him the next time he heads for the box. It's possible it's too small and he's overhanging. I use a Rubbermaid underbed storage box as a litter box. It's big enough for 15 pound Izzie. I will occasionally find misses, but I think it's kicked out. You may also want to have him checked by the vet. Animals have 2 glands on the outside of their anal openings called anal glands. When these become infected, it's like a horrific hemmorhoid. If it hurts when he poops, he won't go in the box b/c he thinks the box is causing it. Don't switch litter or move the box--that will just make it worse.

Mickelangelo

I definitely think that the litter box might be too small and it might be an accidental miss. Or perhaps your litter box isn't clean enough for his standards perhaps. I would clean the spot/spots he's been pooping very well to eliminate any scent that can be associated with the carpet as a bathroom. I would also have him watch you take the poop from the carpet and place it in the litter box have him cover it with his paw (Maybe it will have no effect making him do it or it could help

Mickelangelo "Mickey" answered on 8/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer