I can't afford high quality food for my 5 cats! My income has reduced drastically so I'm only able to afford grocery sto

Asked by Member 1150953 on Jun 28th 2013 Tagged cheapfood, health in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Yes you can! Supermarket cat food is full of the leftover cuts from people food, plus artificial colors, flavors, fillers and preservatives. You can do better! Feeding a higher-quality food does not have to cost a fortune. A large bag of Nutro Max cat, for example, is $30 (without sales or coupons, which will make the price lower). Your cats will eat less of a higher quality food, need less, and be more healthy overall. Try it and see!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's what makes our site so great. And, here's mine. I have 3 cats and we are also on a limited income. Any cat I've had has always eaten Purina One from the grocery store. I find coupons online and in the Sunday newspaper supplements. There are forumlas for kittens, older cats, sensitive skin and system, hairball, indoor, etc. My cats are healthy and my vet has never insisted that they must eat food that costs more per meal than our's does. They are healthy, happy, poop and pee fine, play, sleep and are general pains in my behind (in a good way!) What to feed is a hotly contested topic here on our site and there are valid points to every argument and opinion. But, bottom line is that if you want to keep your cats while your finances are compromised, you have to do what's best for your budget.

If you can do it, try to include some canned food, even if it's 9 Lives or grocery store brand or something. Cats need the extra moisture, and it is also more satisfying than dry food, so they eat less of it. It helps keep their weight down, too.