Hank

I brought my two cats over to my sisters to get them familiar with each other before I move them there permanently. Afte

Asked by Hank on Apr 2nd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I have the funny feeling you're asking why the cats didn't get along. When we introduce new cats to resident ones, the newbies must be kept separate (in a separate room with litter box, food/water, etc. and the door closed. Curiosity will take over. When the cats start playing "feet under the door", that's progress. Your sister's cats don't see your cats as cats, just invaders in their territory and they are bound to protect their home. If you will live there permanently, ask your sister to provide them with a "safe room", maybe the one you'll be living in. Visit with them as often as you can and let the resident cats into the room and your cats out. It may take time especially if all cats are grown up. All the cats should be spayed or neutered. If they aren't that's adding about 1000% to the problem. Treat all the cats with patience, love and understanding. Give them time, as much as they need.