Austin Valentino loving memory

I am suffering from the loss of my beloved cat and my question is How can my cat be his normal happy self and then the v

Austin was 16 years and 10 months old and has been diabetic for 6 years. He was totally stabilized on his insulin and he has been doing perfectly well…..the day before he died he again was normal in every way shape and form and then suddenly the next morning he had had a seizure…we rushed him to the vet thinking perhaps it was an insulin issue but it was not! The vet did blood work…it was normal….his sugar was good and his temperature although low when we brought him in started rising…..but he started twitting and the vet said they were seizures and was giving him valium to try and stop them….it wasn't working and he had been doing that for so long --over 2 hours that we were told even if we could get them to stop he would have permanent brain damage and that putting him to sleep was a decision we had to make….the vet said he may have had a brain tumor? But he didn't seem sick or anything….I just DON"T understand what happened and am sick and heartbroken that we let him go…..

Asked by Austin Valentino loving memory on Dec 7th 2013 Tagged seizures, braintumors, catshealth in Health & Wellness

Answers

Some cats get seizures. Understand that diabetes is a debilitating disease that saps the body, and you did the right thing by NOT letting your cat suffer. My Pookie had seizures and always recovered well. Valentine's night I heard a thump and Pookie's rear body was paralyzed. I waited for her to get better the next day, but she was contorted and making noises I had never heard. I stayed with her the following night, forced fluids and brought her to the vet the 1st thing 1 1/2 days after the major stroke at age 16. It was time, and I still wear the bracelet that matches her collar. Sorry for your loss... ^_^ having a couple at a time makes it a little easier when you lose your bestest friend...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Austin. I had a cat who had seizures at least on a monthly basis. They were idiopathic seizures, or of unknown origin. The seizures started when she was five years old and my cat lived to be 11-1/2. It wasn't the seizures that killed her; it was chronic renal failure. I had to give her sub-Q fluids for the last 14 months or so of her life. She was never diabetic, but the seizures happened for no reason. I also had to give my cat valium, but my new vet advised against it. It sounds to me that your cat was suffering from other health issues which brought the seizures on. Have comfort in knowing that you gave your cat a good, long life. Just think of the good times and soon you will heal. I still think of my cat and she will be dead six years in March. It is painful, but time does heal the grieving process. I wish you all the best.