I am planning to get another kitten soon to keep my current one company. Is this wise, given the age gap between them?

Both spayed females, both Russian Blues, both from the same breeder. I was planning on getting the 2nd as a companion/playmate for my current one, but seeing as my current cat shall be going on 9 months already by the time I get the 2nd (3.5 months), is that a wise idea? This shall be my first time to keep 2 cats in the house if I do go through with it.

Asked by Member 1173069 on Jun 1st 2013 Tagged kittens, introducingkittens, playmates, companions in Other Kittens

Answers

There should be no problem for you to add another cat to your family if the introductions are done the right way. Before you bring the 2nd cat home,thoroughly discuss how to introduce the new cat to the resident cat. The RC is still a kitten at 9 months of age, so will most likely accept the younger cat, but the breeder knows their cats and their personalities and can give you the best advice on how to intro them to each other. The older cat should be "fixed" by now and if not yet done, the younger one should be altered as soon as possible. This cuts down on aggression and competition for territory between them. Done the right way, you should have no issues between the 2 cats, but do chat with the breeder to make sure you know exactly what needs to be done.

The age difference is not the problem, but it may be the gender. I have found that close in age pairs of neutered boys and spayed girls get along better than same-sex combinations, especially if the one already living with you becomes fearful or dominant. However, there are plenty of same sex cats and dogs with larger age differences between them that get along just fine! Shelter cats are also just as fabulous ^_^