I am getting raedy to adopt a kitten from the shelter and have a few questions.

This will be my first time owning a real pet (I've only had rabbits and gerbils before), so I wanted to make sure I'm ready for one.

I work 40 hours a week, and live in an apartment, so I won't be able to give the kitten constant attention, but I will be sure to play with it everyday after work. I'm looking to foster a very young one (our shelter does not allow adopting until the kitten is at least 2 pounds) and then adopt it. I have a few questions though.

1. When's the best time to adopt? My mom says it might be better to get one when it gets warmer, but I don't really think that matters.
2. How old should the kitten be before you can be away from it for an extended period of time? (i.e. traveling, in which case I would ask a friend to take care of him/her).
3. How badly do kittens need attention? I already don't get enough sleep and am worried I will be woken up at night by my kitten craving attention.
4. How do I kitten-proof my apartment? We have a pet deposit of $500.

Asked by Member 1144539 on Dec 10th 2012 Tagged firsttime, kitten, apartment, new in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Ghost

It sounds like you are ready for an adult cat. If you are worried about playfulness there are breeds you can get that retain the kitten behavior so to speak, such as Maine coon. Kittens need constant attention, even adults need a lot.

Ghost answered on Dec 14th.

Answers

It's great that you're thinking of adopting, but honestly it doesn't sound as if your lifestyle is conducive to raising a kitten, in my opinion. Think of a kitten as a toddler: would you leave one alone for extended periods of time? Would you be concerned about how much attention a child needs? Would your apartment need to be child-proofed?

People forget that pets - especially young ones like kittens - need as much care and attention as small children. If you're not prepared and willing to provide that, then I would seriously reconsider adoption at this time. Your lifestyle may be more suited for an older cat - one that is socialized and litter trained, and is more independent - but even then, keep in mind that it will definitely require daily care and attention.

I don't wish to discourage you, but pet ownership is a lifetime commitment...and kittens are more fragile and more work than adult cats. Please consider the welfare of any animal you may choose to adopt.