I am a professional jeweler and I work at home. I really want to adopt a kitten but

I'm afraid he might swallow any of the tiny components I work with. Can I do something to prevent that?

Asked by Member 1144569 on Dec 10th 2012 Tagged swallowingforeignobjects in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

It's great that you're thinking ahead about this. Jewelry components are definitely hazards, as well as many other household items. The best way to prevent a tragedy is to keep your kitten/cat completely away from these items by securing them all away in kitty-proofed containers when you're not working on them, or by working on them only in a room where you can close the door to keep the kitten out.

The thing is, kittens are like toddlers. You wouldn't leave choking hazards or open flames within reach of a toddler, and the same goes for kittens - except they are more mobile and can jump higher! The list of household hazards for kittens is a pretty long one, and kittens need more care than adult cats. I recommend you read about the care and hazards for kittens before adopting one. It could be that a slightly older cat may suit your lifestyle better.

That said, once you're familiar with the hazards and proper care, a cat or kitten could be a wonderful addition to your home! :)