I adopted Cleo last week, and for the first few days she was very affectionate. Recently though she has started biting.

She has been to the vet recently, and has been spayed. So I'm guessing it is not a medical issue. She will bite during play, though I use toys for her to bite and scratch. And she will bite suddenly during petting, even when she is still purring. At first it seemed like she was just play biting, or doing it affectionately (since she is 10 months), but now she is pinning her ears back and biting harder. The neighbors cat is also seen regularly strolling outside our house, but I'm not sure if this is also a factor. Is there anything I can do? And why is she doing this suddenly?

Asked by Member 1144629 on Dec 10th 2012 Tagged biting, training, adopted in Aggression

Answers

My Delilah was abandoned at a shelter and was in a cage at PetsMart for over a year because she was a biter. She didn't discriminate--men, women, kids, me...It's hard to say what Cleo's history is. She may have been abused. I don't know what Delilah's history is either. It's possible that she's displaying "misplaced aggression" because she can't get to the outside cat, she's taking it out on you. There are a few things you can do. Arm yourself with a spray bottle and when she bites, aim it and spray over her head (NOT in her face) and say "No bite!!" Also, when you are petting her and her ears go back, stop and leave her alone right away. Keep playtimes short and calm. She may be getting over-excited. Delilah will still nip me, especially when I'm grooming her, but not hard, just enough to say "I've had enough. Now leave me alone." People said I was crazy for adopting a biter, but now with kindness, patience and reading her "signals", she is my most affectionate cate.