I adopted a 4 year old neutered male cat 1 1/2 days ago. The cat hasn't used the litter box yet. Should I be concerned?

Asked by Member 1112906 on May 28th 2012 Tagged litterbox, adoption, male in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

YES! Get kitty to the vet ASAP if you really know that he hasn't urinated. Is it possible he soiled somewhere other than the litterbox? I would call the vet and get him to an emergency clinic if your vet isn't open. I hope he's okay.

Sometimes when you adopt a cat, his systems will shut down for a bit (meaning he won't eat or use the box and will hide). If you don't know the cat's previous history, he may have been abused or at the least just not socialized. You might want to try putting his box/food/water in a quiet, spare room. Show him where it's at. Visit with him, talk to him, show him he's safe and in his forever home, but don't force yourself on him. Let him decide when it's time to become part of the family. Unless he is showing signs of illness such as lethargy, vomiting, etc., I wouldn't panic. Keep an eye on him and if he hasn't "come around" by Thursday or so, then call your vet. Make sure he always has fresh water and food out. I would take him to a vet to establish a relationship with one in case of illness or an emergency. I always advise people who adopt to take their cats to their own vets for a "well-kitty" check as soon as they can. Bring any papers they gave you when you adopted.