I adopted a 4 year old cat. It now attacks, bites and scratches. Is there anything I can do? If return her to the ado

Asked by Member 1061250 on Oct 4th 2011 in Aggression

Answers

Carly

You do not say how long you have had her. You need to give her time to adjust to her new home. Did you isolate her and give her a room where she can go to feel safe? Consult with your vet and the shelter where you got her on how to help her adjust. My vet suggested using a Feliway diffuser in addition to giving me an article on how to work with my rescued kitty to help integrate her into my large family of cats. I am trying to be patient but Carly is intolerant of all of my cats and it's causing me lots of stress. I was ready to take Carly back last week because she went after Destiny. But it's not her fault! Keep reminding yourself that this kitty didn't ask to be abandoned and to have to get used to strangers. Do not force attention and contact on the cat. Let her some to you. Speak to her softly and let her know she is in a good place now. With time she will hopefully come around.

Carly answered on 10/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Carly's mom. You need to contact the agency from where you adopted her. Take it so far as the shelter director or manager if necessary. Ask many questions about this cat's background, as much as the shelter knows about her. If the cat checks out healthwise (you have taken her to your vet, right?) then this is a socialization issue. Do you have other cats? Children? When I socialize a cat into my household, I set up a "safe room" for the cat w/ food, water, litterpan and someplace (like under a bed) for the cat to hide. I use a babygate in the door with a cat-size hole cut into it to keep my other animals out. I let the cat determine when it will join the rest of our family, but I do visit the room many times during the day, just sitting on the floor and speaking with the cat. Hands-off at first. When the cat does come out, I still keep things very non-confrontational. In short, you must be willing to educate yourself on how to socialize the cat. It takes lots of patience!