I adopted a 2yr old cat 4 days ago from a rescue centre. She will not use a litter tray(she has 2). She does go in the b

Asked by Member 1149960 on Jan 14th 2013 Tagged toilettraining, untillshecangoout in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Cats do not like change in routine, and even though your cat probably was not happy living in a shelter, now she's being asked to adapt to another new situation. Delilah is my problem child. When I adoptded a 3rd cat, she began using my bathtub and spraying on my shower door. I started leaving a few inches of water in the tub to discourage her. Make sure your cat's box is in a private place. Mine are in a closet. If you have room, you might also try putting out a few more boxes. Litter boxes are not stylish decor, but either are spots, piles and cat odors ;0) Also, we always suggest that you establish yourself with a vet even before you bring a cat home. Even if your cat was vetted at the shelter, she does need to meet her new doctor and they, her. The vet can advise you on how to make her comfortable in her new home and check to make sure there is no physical reason for her not wanting to use her box.

Tommy

You might try to change the brand of cat litter you are using. My cat suddenly started going in the worse places after 3 years of using the litter box. I couldn't figure out the problem and tried all kinds of things. One day when I was cleaning the cat litter I thought "I don't like this new litter I got even if it is supposed to be clumping." I went to the store and got the Arm and Hammer Multi Cat Clumping litter and the problem went away and has never returned after 2 years. I did get him a covered litter box that was a little too small for him at 15 pounds and he started going in the sink. Going back to his regular one fixed that.

Tommy answered on 1/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer