Hypo-allergenic kitty? Preferably on the larger side.

I'm dying to get a kitty after my orange tabby had to be put down at the age of 13.But my mom is horribly allergic. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 1149768 on Jan 13th 2013 in Breeds

Answers

How did your mom handle being exposed to your other cat? I have never heard of a truly hypo-allergenic cat, except for some breeding experiments years ago. There was no guarantee that even those cats, at $5,000 a piece, were truly hypo-allergenic. I would advise much forethought before you decide to adopt. If the adoption doesn't work out, it's traumatic to have to bring the kitty back to the shelter for all concerned. If you live with your mom and she is, as you say "horribly allergic", you, including the cat, potentially will all be miserable. Is your mom willing to load up on allergy meds? Are you willing to vacuum and clean every day to keep down the dander? Your best bet may be to speak with her allergist and your own vet and ask them for their advice. Good luck!