Lulabell

Hyperthyroidism Treatments

Lulabell (12 years old) has been on Methimizole for the last 2 years. Even with continued increases in the dosage her levels really arent dropping to the normal of what the vet is hoping. Other than this she is really healthy- just the extremely large appetite, vomiting on occasion, and slight weight loss. She is very spunky, active and a big mush.

The continued costs of the Methimizole, exam and extra costs, along with her desire to absolutely refuse any type of pill (whether it be in her food, pill pocket or shoved down her throat which I admit Im not very good with) Im seeking alternative treatments.

Wondering if anyones tried the RADIOACTIVE IDODINE THERAPY or the PLO PEN? Looking for feedback on both options.

Asked by Lulabell on Sep 11th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I have to admit that I am not familiar with hyperthyroidism in cats, but I have had to pill cats in the past and I have the scars to prove it's not easy. It took two of us, gloves and a towel to wrap the cat in. But, if they don't get the meds, the meds don't do any good. I was more successful with a child's liquid Tylenol eye-dropper and liquid medicine. Your vet should be able to show you how to grind up the pill and mix it with sterile water or some other medium and shoot it down her throat. Since your vet knows Lulabell, speaking with them about alternative treatments would be your best option. If there is a veterinary college in your area or a specialty clinic, you may even want to speak with them about those treatments. There is also Care Credit which I believe is an interest-free payment plan that a lot of vets accept. Good luck. She's a beautiful girl!

Pookie died in February from a thyroid tumor at age 17, and Panda at 14 1/2 was just diagnosed with the same thing in July. They both got really skinny and had to take pills. The trick is that when you get their mouth open, you have to be above them to drop it exactly down the back of their throat, or they will spit it out. Orion still gets a pill pocket treat every night (I throw, he fetches & eats). My costs were cut in half when the animal hospital where I go bought their own testing machine, and I get results within two days (sometimes same day) now. If you live in a populated area there must be a vet that has this machine. As soon as Panda's levels are regulated he will only need to be tested every 4 months. You also might want to price your pills at 1-800 PetMeds or Target (they do pet medicine too, I recently found out); you will need a prescription but if you explain to your vet about costs most will be sympathetic and want what's best for the animal. Feel better Lula