Bailey Sunflower

Human Allergy to Feliway

Mom bought Feliway because my brother has some issues with urinating unappropriately. Daddy is allergic to cats but so far has dealt with having us in the house. However, he is afraid that he might be sensitive to the Feliway. Is this possible? We use the plug in.

Also, the Feliway does not seemed to have stopped my brother from his urinating. This does not seem to be spraying because he actually squats and goes on rugs and on my bed. Mom already took him to the doctor who took urine samples and it showed that there wasn't a medical problem. Why might he be doing this and is there anything we can do to stop it? He is pretty neurotic and sometimes has to have time outs.

Asked by Bailey Sunflower on Mar 2nd 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Feliway is a pheromone product which means that it's not like a Glade or Airwick air freshener that anyone and everyone can smell and possibly have a reaction to. Feliway is picked up only by kitties. It doesn't affect dogs or humans. Sometimes it doesn't even work on kitties--only works if they're sensitive to it. Even then, if the kitty has some real down and dirty behaviors, it's no miracle cure. Your brofur could still be marking his territory, but males (and sometimes females) usually spray high on stuff to do that.You can start by making sure the litter box is in an easy to get to, quiet area. He may not like where it's at OR the litter. One of my kitties was really fussy about his litter and he peed right in front of me on the carpet. Make sure he has plenty of litter boxes around the house and you might notice he's using one more than the others. That means he likes that one! Make sure you use Nature's Miracle to destroy any odor of where's he's gone outside his box.

♥Sam

About 10 years ago when the hooman was working in a vet clinic way down south. We were told we couldn't use the feliway spray. Apparently there were some hoomans that suffered respiratory problems from it. I don't know if the feliway WAS the cause, but it is possible.

♥Sam answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer