Tot

How young is too young for a cat to have a Perineal Urethrostomy, or is age a factor?

My cat Tot is a year old and is a male going in to get a Perineal Urethrostomy done tomorrow morning. This was our last resort because we couldnt afford to keep bringing him to the Emergency Care Center. I am concerned because of how young he is. Will his age be a problem? I am very worried about the surgery. I am also concerned because I understand this means my cat will be a girl now?

Asked by Tot on Jan 29th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

This surgery is commonly called "PU" and it's used as a last resort when a male cat continues to obstruct. If Tot is already having these problems, your vet may have decided that without the surgery, he faces a lifetime of bladder problems. The surgery is not a complicated one and prognosis for recovery is usually very good. You'll need to watch him throughout his life for infections and keep an eye on the surgery site while he's healing. Your cat won't be a girl now as it takes more than physical "equipment" to make a male or female. He'll still be Tot!