How to make my old boy's final days as comfortable as possible?

My beloved 15 year old domestic shorthair has been told he only has 2 weeks to live, this is very upsetting to me and my girlfriend. He is usually a very affectionate cat though he seems to prefer men (much to my girlfriends annoyance) and wants to be near his daddy, how can I make him feel comfortable in this awful time?

Asked by Member 1073988 on Nov 30th 2011 Tagged loss, bereavement, care, love, affection, death in Loss of a Pet

Best Answer

I am so sorry! A lot of us Catsters have been through this with at least one beloved animal. One of the most important things is to keep his life as normal as possible. Cats don't have "bucket lists". If your old gent wants to play, by all means play with him, keeping playtimes short and non-intense. If he likes to be brushed, brush him. Keep mealtimes and bedtimes regular for both of you. If he'll tolerate it, love on him as much and as frequently as you can--you'll never regret it. This is not the time for your GF to protest your cat's loyalties. Stress and competition for your kitty's attention should not be part of his last days. You will know when his time has come. Rely on your vet to ease the process for all of you, before, during and after. It's OK to cry. I still have bad days when I miss my lost animals and I believe whole-heartedly that they are at The Rainbow Bridge having a good old time and waiting for me to get there. Many hugs and purrs to all of you.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Dec 1st.

Answers

Orange Ruffy

I agree with Izzie,

I don't know why he only has 2 weeks to live, but do what you can to make those 2 weeks memorable. If he's ill and in pain, ask your vet if something can be given to help...'hospice' for animals is remarkable nowadays.
Sometimes cats outlive vet predictions as well....one of our family cats was given a poor prognosis and surprised the vet by outliving his predicition. No one tells cats that a case is 'hopeless' and they go about their lives not being effected by negative thinking...I've seen it time and again. In Ruffy's words-'It's not how you say goodbye, it's sure how you live."
Make your cat as happy as possible. Catnip, brushing, extra petting, whatever he wants.'

Our thoughts are with you, and our purrs too!

Orange Ruffy answered on 12/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer