How to make my cat more socialable with me?

Hello. I have 3 wonderful cats but my problem is with my youngest cat. I got her when she was 6 weeks old. She is somewhat unsocialable with me. I can only pet her if she is on top of something. I can never approach her when she is on the floor....ever! I can only pet her occasionally and she is not fond of being picked up. If I do she just meows and squirms. Why is she so anti-social?

When she was a kitten, the vet said she had herpes in her eye. I was required to put eye drops in her eyes everyday. She hated it and so did I. Later I found out from another vet, it was not herpes and he fixed her in one day. But now I think she is traumatized. I think this is part of it.

Any thoughts on how to make her socialable with me? This makes me sad.

Asked by Member 1210612 on Jan 20th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

hello, you cannot change a cat's personality. I have one fraidy cat that took a year to jump up on the couch next to me. Now, she is more affectionate than ever. just give it time and let the other cats rub off on her. If you are too needy it will send her in the other direction. be patient and try interacting in another way with her, such as play. Bonding does not have to be cuddling only! Find some interactive toys, such as the cat dancer, that you both can enjoy. You can also encourage her with treats, such as Greenies SmartBites in tuna, chicken or salmon flavors. ^_^