Harvey

How to live with a stud cat and its spraying?

I'm no longer "intact," as the Cat Fanciers' Association so prissily puts it, but I hang out at cat shows, and hear a lot of stories about the misery breeders have to put up with in order to keep a stud cat. Leaving aside the ethics of breeding purebred cats, when there are so many wonderful shelter cats looking for homes, the fact is that intact cats are necessary for breeding programs (we neutered guys can't make kittens, duh), and without breeding programs, breeds would go extinct (as the Maine Coon almost did in the mid-20th century. Gosh, I'm glad we didn't!). Anyway, back to the topic: it seems pretty sure that intact males, with their tendency to spray urine to mark their territory, are going to make your domicile pretty odiferous. I'm wondering how many people out there have an intact tom who doesn't spray, and whether anyone has any ideas about how to keep an intact tom in the house without grossing out the human tenants. (Aren't we neutered boys just so CIVILIZED?!?)

Asked by Harvey on Mar 30th 2008 Tagged stud, cat, spraying in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

I am no longer "intact" either, but back when Mom was looking for a kitten (me!) she spoke with some breeders and it seems like they do one of 3 things: a) the stud is kept in a large cage away from the other cats b) the stud is kept in his own room in the house or c) the breeder chooses not to keep a stud and instead pays for "stud service" and sends their queens to another cattery to be bred. A reputable breeder will usually allow their studs supervised playtime, but they have to keep the studs confined to contain the "mess" and avoid unplanned breedings. Most reputable breeders also do not keep their cats in the breeding program very long and "retire" their adults when they are done with their show and breeding career.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

I've heard about some "pants" that male stud cats wear when not breeding.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Reggie

Hi! Harvey,
Not all studs spray, but they all stink. My brother and I were 2 1/2 before we were neutered and didn`t spray untill the week before we were altered. We did smell bad in the box tho, we couldn`t help it, we were stud cats. We used our favorite box only (our choice) and MOM just dumped the it daily. Mom got an old Ballinese stud cat from a lady when he was 11, he was a house cat all of his life and never sprayed. He was neutered and within a month he quit stinking like a stud even at that age. He sprayed on her bed only once, the day after he got home from the vet! ;)
Mom`s method of solving the spraying problem when she was breeding was to keep only one whole adult boy in the house at a time. She didn`t cage alot. If he started to spray, she put Stud Pants on him, or neutered him. One stud meant that the whole harem was his alone and it worked for her cattery. She usually retired everyone when they were around 4, and had them altered anyway.

Reggie answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer