Harley

How to heal a cats wound on a paw.

I am so frustrated my cat of 17 years who is starting to fail had a hind paw cauterized after he lost a nail.
After a couple weeks he kept ripping it open .
After a week of it finally being left alone enough to heal.
He ripped on it again.
I can't put a cone collar on him because he gets out of them.
After five hundred in vet bills this month I am tapped out.
Wish I could think of a way to heal his foot.
At times he seems like he is coming to the end down to 6 pounds.
I don't know if I am doing him more harm by making him comfortable or if I should except he will only get worse and have him put down.
I really want him to pass on his own but don't want him making him self more miserable with his foot.
Has anyone ever healed a cats wound on their paw them selves?

Asked by Harley on Jan 17th 2011 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Tigger

well i havent healed a wound on a cats foot before ive tried to wrap it with some material ive gotten from the vet to wrap my dogs wound but i would wrap it up put some neosporin on the wound and wrap it up tight enough to keep it on but not tight enough to cut off the cerculation to the paw if that doesnt work call the vet for more advice

Tigger answered on 1/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you have gone to the same vet for all of his 17 years, or at least many of those years, I am almost positive that they will help you out and worry about the money later. We spent a fortune on our Golden Retriever when she was at the last stages of her life and the office manager told us to send what money we could for the bill when we could. If it were me, I would call your vet and explain to them what you've explained to us. If he is ill and losing weight as well, the chances of his paw healing on its own are slim. You need to have an honest discussion with your vet about your financial situation, the fact that the paw is not healing and your feelings about euthanasia and if they could counsel you about whether it's "time" or not. You can also ask them if there's anything you can do for him at home. They are the ones who can give you the best advice since they know him and his history. Good luck. We're sending purrs and prayers for him and you.

Blaze

Blaze had a wound on her back paw. One of the pads was sore and she kept picking at it until it was swollen up huge and really infected. It was almost like she couldn't help herself and picked at it night and day mindlessly. The vet gave her antibiotics and some ointment that I had to rub on it twice a day. After I put the ointment on, I would distract her with some canned food or treats so that she would not immediately lick it all off. It healed up just fine. You certainly don't want him to have the discomfort of a sore foot while he is winding down on life, but only you can decide if it's time to let him go.

Blaze answered on 1/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

One of my workers at my kennel has a cat who ripped off his nail somehow. It was quite infected and painful but the vet only gave them a disinfectant to soak it in. She wasn't able to afford a trip back to the vet so we ended up shaving all the hair off the cat's toe, using neosporin and bandaging it. After a few days, it looked better so we did away with the bandage and kept up the neosporin. She also gave him a box with shredded newspaper since the litter was sticking to the injury. While the entire base of the nail is now gone, after three weeks the tissue is finally granulating back and healing.
He did get "crusts" built up so she did daily soaks with the stuff from the vet.
Had it been my cat, I would have gone to the head vet in the practice and complained so much they would have at least put him on antibiotics, but she is too soft for that type of confrontation.