How to get my cat to stop peeing in the house?

A few months ago I moved in with a new roommate who has 2 cats, and since my cat had lived alone for a year, he had some issues with it. He peed on several of my roommate's belongings in her closet. We've since dealt with that by keeping him out of her room most of the time and there haven't been any incidents for a few weeks now. But now in the past couple days my cat has started peeing on my bed, and I don't know what to do. He's never done that before. Keep in mind he's been neutered, and is litter trained. He's about about a year old. I plan to take him to a vet this weekend to see if it's a uti, but something tells me it's behavioral, and I don't know how to change a cat's behavior. Please help!
Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the other cats use his litter box and vice versa, so I don't know if that could be the reason?

Asked by Member 1189448 on Sep 11th 2013 Tagged pee, peeing, male, bed in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

You actually answered your own question on a few counts. If he has a UTI, that could be the reason. But I tend to think that it's because he's suddenly be thrown into a situation with "aliens", in a strange environment (new home) and someone is leaving landmines in his litter box. Think of how you feel when you go to the restroom and the person before you hasn't flushed. He needs his own box in a place where the other cats will not be likely to use it and it needs to be kept scrupulously clean. I'd say he's definitely marking his territory. It might be a good idea for either you or your roommate to keep your cat(s) isolated for a while until your cat feels more "at home" in his new digs. Suddenly being thrown into a new situation is what's causing his potty issues. Also, make sure you clean up his spots. I use baking soda and vinegar which removes odors and even old spots from carpeting AND bedding. 20 Mule Team Borax (grocery laundry aisle) also works.