Kaylee & Amelia

How to get a kitten to eat consistently without hand feeding it?

Kaylee and Amelia, 5 1/2 month old sister kittens, early spays, although Kaylee is bigger while Amelia is skinny. I leave out two bowls of water and two bowls of kibble all the time (kibble is measured per day), and they get 3 meals of canned or raw as well. I feed all high-quality, grain-free, biologically-appropriate foods and they have had a lot of variety (worked in slowly to avoid digestive upset). Sometimes Amelia digs in with gusto and other times she'll sniff the food and won't eat unless I hand feed her. It is NOT a constant problem, just happens occasionally. There doesn't seem to be any aggression between the two during meals and they have separate bowls. No litter box issues (two boxes). No vet issues and a healthy last check-up. I brush their teeth and no sensitive areas. I know Amelia is eating something as I can see/hear her eating kibble during the night. Is her appetite smaller than Kaylee's? Should I feed them in separate rooms?

Asked by Kaylee & Amelia on Sep 26th 2013 Tagged kittens, picky, handfed, nutrition in Kittens

Answers

Nicholas

You are feeding them dry and 3 wet meals per day? I don't think they need that much. My grown cats get about 1/2-2/3 cup dry per day (once it is gone, that's it for the day) and about a heaping tablespoon of wet a day. And the occasional treat. What is she about 4 lbs? Maybe continue with the free feeding dry and one serving of wet once a day. Sounds like you are a very responsible and observant pet owner but she is probably just not hungry! Good Luck!

Nicholas answered on 9/26/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stop hand feeding immediately; you want the kitten to eat without assistance. She will eat when she's hungry or smells new food. It sounds like one is the runt- sizes between littermates can differ drastically. It appears like you're doing everything well, so just be confident and have fun watching them grow! ^_^