How old should your cat be to start training to be a therapy cat? Is there a specific age limit recommended?

My cat is about 3 and I am a teenager with depression, both ADD and ADHD,plus anxiety. I my have more problems to liked bipolar. And I have been basically a science experiment for the last month. And I love my cat and was really hoping she could be helpful on all of these or at least some of it. Any information will help thank you!!!

Asked by Member 1181666 on Jul 21st 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

What are you expecting your cat to do? The best way for your cat to help you is by being a loving companion and friend. There are no service cats like dogs that are allowed in public places. I have a close mentally ill family member and I can assure you that the world is not interested in your diagnoses, but only in how you deal with them. You have years to do that, so hang in there until you get with the right medication and therapies. Prayer and a new cat will help, but there is no cure except giving life your best try each day. Peace ^_^