Micha

How old should a cat be before they get catnip?

Asked by Micha on Jan 3rd 2009 in Pet Products

Answers

That's a very good question. Catnip is an herb also known as "catmint". When dried and used to make tea, it has a calming effect on humans much like chammomile. It can have the opposite effect on cats. It seems to have the same effect on cats as some women claim chocolate has on them! It's not a drug or a medication and does not have a lasting effect. My late Ernie would guard his catnip and growl at Izzie, his brother. Then, 5 minutes later he'd lose interest in it and walk away. It has no effect on Delilah and little effect on Lily Rose. I've never heard that it would have a detrimental effect on kittens. I would not over-use it, however. And, if it hypes the kitten up too much, I'd hold off on it until they're over a year old. It's not a requirement to give a cat catnip as it has no health benefits. And, the toys you can buy have such a small amount in them that it hardly matters.

Some cats get really calm/almost like they are stoned with catnip too. Often kittens aren't interested in catnip and show no reaction until they are older - over 6 months. There's no danger to kittens and its not a drug so you can try it out with them and see if they like it and how it affects them.

Harvey

Just make sure that they don't get hold of the car keys while they're under the influence!

Harvey answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Little Kitty

Hi there! I started giving my youngest cat catnip when he was around 6 months old or so. Catnip is a natural and organic substance that actually helps cats relax. So usually after the initial period of freaking out my cat crashes and takes a nice long snooze. I give him catnip before bed to make sure he sleeps most of the night. I have started buying my catnip at www.w4petproducts.com - they have really great prices and lots of eco-friendly pet products. Good luck!

Little Kitty answered on 1/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer