How old does a cat have to be to sucessfully have kittens? How late into term can she have an abortion?

My kitten, a stray I picked up, is not yet 5 months old and already a month pregnant. You can already feel the tiny little babies in her stomach but she is so tiny it is hard to believe she could give bith but I fear if I tried to let her have the kittens she may die because she is so small. I want what is best for her. Please help us!

Asked by Member 746875 on Oct 4th 2008 Tagged catabortion in Kittens

Answers

Tabby (Adopted)

Cats can successfully give birth at 5-6 months but its risky with a fairly high chance of still born kittens or death for the mother cat if she cannot pass the kittens.

Get her to a vet who can confirm how far along she is and what the best option is based on her age and condition. A vet that specialises in cats would be best if there is one wherer you live.

Cat pregnancies are about 9 weeks so it sounds like it would still be possible to have an abortion/spay her asap as the kittens would not be viable yet.

One other option to consider is to spay her very late in the pregnancy which is effectively a ceasarian so she would not have to actually give birth. You'd have to be prepared to hand rear the kittens as she may not recognise them as hers and with the surgery may not be able to care for them.

Tabby (Adopted) answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I certaintly cannot top Tabby's professional advice. Certainly, get her to a vet NOW. However, for the benefit of people who have a general interest in this question, conscientious professional breeders will not breed their female cats before the age of one year (male cats are ready and willing before that), will breed their queens only once or twice a year, and retire them at about the age of five. Your girl is far too young to be giving birth. Please follow Tabby's advice.

Hunter

Definitely get to a vet. Cats gestation period is about 63 days. Depending on your beliefs, it would be safe to abort the kittens at the stage you are now. It is a bit riskier to mom than a normal spay but it definitely can be done. Consult a vet for additional information.

Hunter answered on 10/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My kitten was approximately 5 months old when I rescued her. It turns out she was pregnant.

She was going to have the kittens in about a week when we got her in for the 'spay'. I believe they can remove the kittens at any time, but it gets more risky the closer you get to the birthdate.

After inadvertantly allowing two feral cats to get pregnant (and 7 kittens later) and trips to the Humane Society... I am fully convinced that you need to do whatever you can to keep another cat from having kittens. The animal shelters are FULL of unwanted kittens... The only responsible thing to do is have this cat (and all others) spayed or neutered. There are way too many cats being euthanized because of over population...