Gypsie

How old do kittens need to be when they get their first vaccinations?

Gypsie recently had kittens (they are maybe 3 days old) and I was just wondering what age they should be when we take them to the vet for the first time. I was thinking possibly 3 weeks, but I'm not sure. We didn't take our last litter of kittens to the vet (not Gypsie's) because we only kept one of the 3. This time, it's possible that we keep both kittens AND Gypsie, so we need to know when we should take them to the vet for the first time. Should we schedule an appt. for all 3 of them? Should Gypsie get the rest of her shots when her kittens are getting theirs, or should it wait until she's done nursing (if we need to get them vaccinations before they're done suckling)? Thanks in advance. ^.*.^

Asked by Gypsie on Apr 6th 2009 Tagged shots, nursing, suckling, vet in Vaccinations

Answers

The first kitten vaccinations are done at 8 weeks, second at 12 and final at 16 weeks. Unless they have some sort of problem that comes up, you should not need to take them to the vet before 8 weeks. The vet will probably not give Gypsie any vaccinations while she is still nursing but when the kittens are 8 weeks old, everybody can go.

Salmon Face

At our clinic, we recommend the first distemper vaccine be given at 6 weeks old. The kittens should then receive booster vaccines every 3-4 weeks until they are atleast 16 weeks old. We give the Feline Leukemia vaccine as early as 9 weeks. Vaccines are a problem for pregnant animals, but do not affect nursing kittens. If Gypsie is due for vaccines, I would have her updated

Salmon Face answered on 4/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer