How old are cats when they start to lose their hearing and eyesight?

I have been taking care of an old stray for over a year now who was abandoned when my neighbor left him behind. I noticed over the summer that his hearing and eyesight seem to be getting worse. Does anyone know from experience in the past how old your own cat was when he/she starting showing signs of diminished senses? My vet estimates this cat to be approximately 18 years old.

Asked by Member 185886 on Aug 27th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Phoebe

BLESS YOU FOR GIVING THIS KITTY A HOME!!!

I am so saddened to hear when people abandon their pets, as if they are disposable. I think every cat is different - they all age in their own ways. If this old guy is happy and otherwise healthy I would just let him be and love him just the way he is. However, if you are concerned it could be something more, I would speak to the vet to see if there is anything going on that can be treated to improve his quality of life.

Good for you for giving this old guy a second chance at a forever home.

Phoebe answered on 8/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

It really varies, just like with people but at 18 it's common for cats to start to get a bit deaf or not see so well.

If possible ask your vet to check his blood pressure as that can cause deafness/loss of vision and is treatable with meds that you could put in his food or a pill pocket. I've had 4 cats 15+ and the 2 who started to lose their hearing both had high blood pressure so its worth checking if you can.

Its really nice that you are looking after him. If it is possible to bring him inside or make sure he stays in your yard that will help protect him as with poor hearing and sight he'll be more at risk from cars, dogs etc outside.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 8/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer