copper and todd

how often do cats have a bowel movement?

He was sick for a few days and only eating baby food and water. He was blocked and had a torn urethra, he was at the vet for a week. He did have one last Friday, i gave him some pumpkin now he wants nothing to do with it so that wont work. How worried do i have to be that he hasn't gone in almost a week? He hasn't been playing his activity includes getting up and eating. Any ideas?

Asked by copper and todd on Sep 3rd 2008 in Illness & Disease

Answers

From cleaning the litter box, I'd say my two cats go more than once a day. If he's not moving around and not eating much, that could be part of the problem. He could also be on medication that's constipating him. You need to contact your vet to ask about this and ask what to do. As we've often said on this board, we aren't vets and we can't diagnose and treat over the Internet. Please at least call your vet to ask for advice about what you should do.

Bella (In Loving Memory)

For a cat with chronic constipation or megacolon (Bella has megacolon) you worry if there is no stool production for two days. My guess would be that he is constipated and if its been a week or more he may need an enema to get things started again and even possibly laxatives afterward. Good luck. Its incredibly frustrating, I know.

My roommate's cat defecates about once or twice a day, when Bella's doing good she goes once a day.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer