Princess

How much space to foster a mom+litter in?

I'm looking to foster a litter of kittens with a mom. I have a 13 year old male cat at home already, so I need to figure out how to keep them apart. The easiest solution is to keep the kittens and mom in our spare room, which is completely empty and easy to make kitten-friendly, but I'm wondering if it's big enough to keep the mom and kittens in only that room. It's about 11 by 13 ft, plus a large closet (about 11 by 4 ft.) Is that enough space?

Asked by Princess on Nov 11th 2013 Tagged fosterlitter, kittens, fostering, space in Kittens

Answers

That's fine. Your male is going to smell them and might start spraying or acting out- just be prepared. I have seen three adults and nine kittens living in the same amount of space (a spare room) so what you are doing is to be commended. I adopted one of those 9 kittens btw, and she is now 2 1/2 months old! Make sure they are all eating a healthy food like MaxKitten. The mom will transition back to adult food once the kits are weaned 100%. Thanks for fostering! ^_^

Yep! I foster kittens (as well as keep my own), and the fosters get a spare bedroom I call the "nursery". ;) It's enough room for them to run and climb and play, but not enough to get into too much trouble.

Make sure to "kitty-proof" the room, though. Kittens are faster and more agile than human children, so it's just as important to prepare the room. Electrical cords, window blind cords, lamps - anything they can eat or pull over onto themselves could be a potential hazard. I also take care to wash their linens separately in hot water with some bleach, and wash hands (and change clothes) before and after visiting or cleaning in their room.

There's some excellent info on fostering and kitten care online, so I'm sure you'll do great!

And I second the sentiment - Thanks for fostering!