How much space does a cat need?

I am thinking about adopting a cat from my local shelter but I do not know if my apartment is big enough. It's only 550 sq. ft. Is this enough room for a cat to be happy?

Asked by Member 1007832 on Oct 13th 2010 Tagged space in Health & Wellness

Answers

Ozzie

I live in a one-bedroom apartment, approximately 670 sq.ft. and I'm owned by 2 indoor only cats. I think 550 sq.ft. is definitely enough room for 1 cat, maybe even 2.

Ozzie answered on 10/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dahlia

Yes I think it is enough space too. I have lived in a very small apartment with 2 cats and we got along great. As long as they have their own little private areas to sleep and lots of toys to keep them occupied, they will be happy. Do remember this before you adopt: Many cats live up to 20 years. Make sure you can keep him or her that long. Trust me - the friendship alone is well worth it! And there will be lots of entertainment as well : )

Dahlia answered on 10/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

My dad always said that a goldfish will grow as big as the bowl or aquarium you keep it in and he was right. Animals have a way of adapting. Your cat will be happy to be with you even if you lived in a cardboard box. If you have a window, invest in a cat tree/condo that it can climb up on to nap, intimidate birds with scathing glances, 8-) etc. You may want to consider adopting an older (over 2 or 3 yrs old)kitty from your shelter. Not only are these cats more difficult to adopt out since everyone wants a cute little kitten, but this cat will be easier to acclimate to a smaller space. Speak with the shelter staff and answer their questions about your schedule and lifestyle. They aren't being nosey, they just want to match you with the right cat. Don't adopt a cat simply because you feel sorry for it or because you like the markings or the fur length. It may not have the personality you need to be a successful adopter. Bond with the cat with frequent playtimes and cuddle times. G

♥ Socko ♥

Some cats may just like to have maybe just a little more space to run around in, but if he or she has a pretty good amount of toys, maybe a cat tree, etc. then I think that there is absolutely no problem at all with getting a cat. Either way, any cat will be much happier in your apartment than in that animal shelter. Just give him or her love, attention, and affection.

♥ Socko ♥ answered on 10/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the others. I have 8 cats in an 864 square foot house and there is plenty of room. Just make sure kitty has toys, a scratching post places to look out the window. Cats can adapt to any size home as long as they are loved and well cared for.Just be sure your apartment doesn't have any rules against having cats, making you declaw a cat, or requiring an additional security deposit in order to have one.

Harvard

Speaking of a person and a cat living in a cardboard box--I've actually seen homeless people in Tokyo who live in creatively designed cardboard boxes along with a cat or dog. I live in a standard Tokyo apartment (four small rooms) with a pack of cats whose number goes up and down, but is probably never going to be less than ten. There's a bit of bickering that goes on among them, but I'm sure that it would happen even if there were fewer of them--some cats are just bullies. However, having said that, if I were you, I'd consider getting two cats (one can be adopted later on, if you don't feel confident enough to adopt two at once), because two cats aren't much more work than one, and if they get along, they can provide each other with company and a lot of amusement.

Harvard answered on 10/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Caitlyn

Cats do fine in small spaces, I believe one person answered to remember cats can live up to 20 years. Are you going to be one of those that has to move and can't take the cat with? I only ask this because of all the ad on places like Kijji and Craiglist. That should be a very important factor in adopting. May be instead of adopting you can foster.

Caitlyn answered on 10/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer