Clarence

How much should I feed my 7 week old kitten?

He is on hard food. I'm just a little confused because there are different recommended feeding amounts. Suggestions welcomed!

Asked by Clarence on Dec 16th 2010 Tagged feedingamount, food, portion in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Welcome to Catster and concatulations on your new baby! He looks a lot like my "baby" (now affectionately known as "bratboy", Izzie) The best thing you can do for your baby is to become established with a vet. Most animal welfare organizations have vets on board, but it's always a good idea to have your own. Take any med papers you got when you go to a vet. Ask friends for suggestions as to good vets. Try to avoid the vets in the pet stores, they can be very expensive. When you take Clarence to the vet you've chosen, this is the time to ask about feeding. Vets do have their own brands of foods they promote,but if you ask for a good store brand, they'll recommend one. They will also advise you about wet (canned) food and amounts and whether they approve of "free feeding" (food down all the time) or scheduled feedings. Feedings are usually based on the baby's weight, growth, history and any possible health concerns. You can also discuss neutering and vacinnations at this time. Hugs!

I free feed my cats dry food and I have always believed that a kitten can not eat too much. They are constantly growing and burn it off quickly. As he gets closer to a year old or at any time that you think he is beginning to gain too much weight you should worry about limiting quantity. Otherwise, he can eat as much as he needs. None of mine overeat even though there is always food available and their weight is just fine at each vet visit. But you will be able to tell if he's overeating and if he seems to be getting fat. If that happens then limiting his food may become necessary. The different suggested amounts on the food bag are based on kcal per kg and since each food is different, then the suggested feeding amounts will also be different. My vet has only done her own calculations for suggested amounts when I had a problem with one who was losing too much weight and I needed to be sure she ate enough for her size.

I've never had a kitten, but my parents have a cat that had 5 kittens 2 1/2 years ago & they free feed them by leaving out bowls of dry food all day long. My parents & I have always left dry food out for our cats 24/7 so they can eat whenever they feel hungry. Most cats will just eat a little bit of food at a time & will go back & forth to the food bowl many times. If you ever feel that your cat is getting too big, switch to a light food or weight management food. I feed my cat weight management Evo dry food because she's a Ragdoll, they are a big breed that isn't very active & she tends to put on a little weight if she doesn't have a lighter calorie food.

A growing kitten should not have food restricted. Kittens require a lot of calories and nutrition as they are growing and are active and playing. Leave dry kitten food out at all times. If you can afford it, some canned kitten food is also a good idea. Once they are a year old, they are no longer considered kittens, and controlled/measured portions and scheduled meal times are a good idea with adult cats to prevent obesity at that time.