Luna

How much should a 6 1/2 month old kitten be eating a day?

I normally give her 1/2 a cup in the mornings, and 1/4 cup at night. Should she be getting more? Should she be allowed to graze? She is about 6 pounds...

Asked by Luna on Nov 27th 2009 in Pet Food

Best Answer

All of mine are free fed on dry food and they get wet food as a treat. Nobody overeats and nobody is overweight. They know it's there when they want some so they don't gobble more than their share. Kittens can not really over eat because they are growing and developing so fast that they need it all for energy. If she seems like she is still hungry with what you are feeding her, I would give her more or else free feed her. If you see her making a glutton of herself and starting to get too fat, then scale it back a bit.

Allie answered on Nov 27th.

Answers

Rex

There are many schools of thought on the feeding of cats. If she eats that and still is hungry then give her more. Kittens are real active and burn it off. You could try giving her some canned food at night. This will help her fill up more and cats like it. I feed my canned food once a day and I free feed them. I have 6 cats and they are all healthy and happy. Canned food has more protein than dry food so is less likely for a cat to get overweight. Dry food is good for their teeth, it helps keep them clean.

Rex answered on 11/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gumpy Sweet Boy

You got some good info about how much to feed your kitten.
I noticed someone said dry food cleans a cat's teeth. I just want to jump in here because that concept is overblown and it's really a myth. My cat lost most of his teeth and ate dry food for most of his life - until I learned more about feline nutrition and now feed a more species appropriate diet. The fact is a majority of cats show evidence of dental disease by 3 years old -- and most are fed dry food. Sorry, but I get tired of hearing "dry food is good for the teeth. Cats need dry food to clean their teeth." The best thing for a cat's dental health are professional dental cleanings and brushing the teeth at home.

Here is an article by a vet which looks at (and refutes) the "dry food cleans the teeth" idea: www.littlebigcat.com

And here is some good information about feline nutrition and health: www.catinfo.org

Purrs and best wishes :)

Gumpy Sweet Boy answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer