Sorrel

How much does a 1 year old Pure breed Maine Coon weigh

Ok I have a pure breed Maine coon I even have the papers to prove and she is a year old and she weighs 8lbs and I feel like she is healthy as can be but I've read that maine coons are soposed to be big boned and my parents say she isnt but still it takes 2 to 5 years for them to be full grown but she looks the same from every pic i've looked at but want to be sure so please reply thanks /:(

Asked by Sorrel on Jul 7th 2011 in Breeds

Answers

Your parents, from what I've heard about Maine Coons, are right. When I got Izzie, who is a Maine Coon Mix, the vet said he wouldn't reach his full size for several years. Right now, he is 4 and weighs 15lbs. With Sorrel (who is a gorgeous cat, btw), it depends on her background and genetics. The breeder would be a great one to ask. They may even be able to provide you with a list of her ancestors and possibly someone who might own a relative of her's so you could see what they look like full grown. It also depends on how you take care of her, if you vet her yearly, feed her a good diet and exercise her and play with her to keep her n shape and healthy. Your vet can be a valuable resource to help her reach her full potential.

Tink the Cat

At 1 yr they have usually grown into their body, but their metabolism is still high, so they can keep their weight down. Around age 3 they should be full size, with Maine Coons up to 15lbs. But yours may have a smaller breed mixed in, so don't worry. But we all have to watch how much we feed after they are 3 yrs, because they can gain weight fast and it's harder to take off. Having to cut their food when they are used to eating till they are no longer hungry is like torture.

Tink the Cat answered on 8/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer