how many time do u give a cat a bath

Asked by Member 964142 on Feb 15th 2010 in Other Kittens

Answers

Most cats don't really need to be bathed. They take pretty good care of their own fur. Unless your cat gets particularly dirty or has a problem with fleas, it is not necessary to bathe cats at all. Persians tend to need baths because they are messy eaters due to their short faces and the long hair on their bottoms occasionally needs a wash. But I do not bathe mine unless they need it.

Fruitbat

Oooh, never! Cats absolutely hate water! and they are in fact really clean animals...they're always cleaning themselves......

Fruitbat answered on 2/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Unless you send your cat out to mine coal or mud wrestle, you really don't need to give them a bath. Izzie and Lily have never had a bath here and Delilah hasn't had one in a year since she was groomed. The closest Izzie came to having a bath was when he slipped on the edge of the tub and fell in. In the wild, you will only see an animal bathing itself when it's got an invasion of tiny livestock such as fleas or mites, or it's so darn hot the only place they can get to cool off is a river or a lake. Humans are the only animals who bathe with any frequency (or should). Brush your cat regularly to loosen old fur, mats and anything that's in it and they'll be fine.

Sophie

It depends on the cat, but most cats don't need baths often at all. They tend to take very good care of themselves, but it's my understanding that cats get greasy and DO need baths occasionally (maybe once a year if even that, especially long haired cats). My cat is/was overweight and won't properly clean parts of her back and rump, so her fur gets kind of nasty on her back and on her backside (which we keep trimmed short). She got a bath a month or two ago, but hasn't had a bath otherwise unless she got into something nasty.

Sophie answered on 2/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chubby

It may seem weird but my cats (all 5 of them) get regular baths every 6 months to a year. They enjoy it and will even stand in the water while I do things. I make it a continuous bonding experience. After they are done they follow me around purring like crazy and sleeping on me. It makes them feel refreshed. I feel as though it's a luxury to them and not something they disagree with. But if your cat hates the water, I agree with the other posters, it's not necessary. I started because one has naturally oil hair. Also my fiance is allergic and loves cats and bathing helps. Let YOUR CAT decide if baths should be done. And if you MUST, keep the front paws out of the water, it makes most cats uncomfortable.

Chubby answered on 2/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Daisy ♥

Chances are, your cat won't even need a bath. You may need to put in just a little detail. Are they indoor or outdoor, or both. If your cat is all indoor, they probably won't need a bath in 5 years! Cats lick themselves and that is really all they need. My cat Daisy is four years old and she has never had a bath in her life! She is very responsible with keeping herself clean herself and she is pretty much always spotless.
In addition, it may be helpful to know if your cat is longhair or shorthair. Longhaired cats may need an occasional scrub-a-dub to keep negative fur conditions away, but probably no more than about two or three times a year. Shorthaired cats on the other hand, will pretty much never need it unless they are particulary dirty or if they are not indoor cats.
Overall, the only time you really need to give your cat a bath is if they are particulary dirty and/or have skin or fur conditions such as dandruff and you do not see them lick themselves about once a day.

♥ Daisy ♥ answered on 1/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

MIGHTY- MIGHT

HOPEFULLY ZERO!!!

MIGHTY- MIGHT answered on 1/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hidey

actually some cats love baths. mine would jump in the shower with me. you should bathe your cat as a kitten to get it used to the idea incase in the future a bath is needed it wont be a horrible stressful situation. especially if they have longer hair and will needed professional grooming. once a month for a year and then as needed.

Hidey answered on 3/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wolfie

I am giving my cat a bath every few days. It's not a total soaking bath but I soak a towel with distilled water and wipe her down every 3-4 days in order to keep control of the dander and saliva. Although I am allergic to cats bathing has reduced my reactions to her and I am able to pet her and brush her without my eyes running.

Wolfie answered on 3/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Allahyar (bon-bon)

I give my cat a bath about once a month. If he doesn't like water you can buy no water soap :)

Allahyar (bon-bon) answered on 5/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Presley Dreamette #27a

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Presley Dreamette #27a answered on 5/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pharaoh Purrince Tao DIT#33

i actually bath my cat a few times a week!!! :P

Pharaoh Purrince Tao DIT#33 answered on 5/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That would depend. Never would be absolutely wrong and not all cats hate water. An outdoor cats may need more bathing than indoor cats, especially if you have construction nearby. Houses that people who do not take off their shoes when entering tend to have more pollutants such as lead and petrochecmical so your cats is bringing home pollutants. Another thing is that cats may sometime need baths since by cleaning themselves they are at the same time making themselves dirty. They may take dirt off of their bodies but they are also leaving deposits of dried saliva. Also some cats, especially black cats can have dandruff. Cats with dandruff can be given food with high omega 3 fatty acids and sprays or lotions can be given after a bath.