how many shots would you have to get a kitten and how much would it cost

i might get a kitten but im only 12 so how much wold it cost for each shot

Asked by Member 636837 on Jul 4th 2008 in Vaccinations

Answers

Schmoo

Hi! I'm a cat captain volunteer at the ASPCA here in NYC. We have a really neat calculator online to approximate the first year cost of a cat. You can go here: www.aspca.org and click on the Cat part. Bottom line is about $160 for the vet exam, blood tests (to make sure the kitten is healthy) and about $100 additional for the kitten shot series. Also factor in around $130 to get the cat neutered (male) if it's female, the surgery is more complicated and costs more.

But if you go to a shelter like the ASPCA, where we have already spayed/neutered the cat plus given it all its shots, you will pay only an adoption fee and that is much less than getting a "free" kitten and having to pay everything yourself. Just make sure the shelter you adopt from includes shots, a health certificate and the cat already being spayed or neutered.

Always remember - a "free" kitten is always more expensive than one you get from a shelter! Good luck!

Schmoo answered on 7/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Philbert

the other poster is right! A free kitten costs a lot of money to make sure its healthy, but if you go to any shelter is your area it should be kitten season and there should be many beautiful healthy kittens to adopt! The adoption fee usually ranges from about 50$-100$ or so and you kitten will be spayed/neutered and have all its shots. In my shelter in Brooklyn phil was 100 for all that and I got a free 5lb bag of food, but he's so priceless to me.

Philbert answered on 7/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know it's exciting to think about adopting an animal and having it for your very own, but I'd just like to add that if you adopt a kitten, this kitten will grow up to be a cat and could live for 20 years. During those 20 years, she will need vet care, food and toys and that can run into money. Sooner or later, when you go to school or move out, if she is your cat you will have to take her with you if your parents don't want to keep her at your home. What I'm saying is that there is more involved to adopting an animal than just the shots. If you and your family don't have the money to take care of a kitty the way she should be taken care of (including spay or neuter so she or he can't have or make babies) then you probably should not get one. Please think about how much you will be spending on this kitty over her lifetime. It's not fair to adopt an animal and then say you can't afford to take care of her.

Go to your local Petco store. About once ot twice a month they have a vet come in and give low cost vaccinations. there are also vaccination packages offered.