how long will my 6 month old cat be in heat it has been 4 weeks and 3 days off and on? We live in an outpost area.

It is about 100 miles south of the artic circle and won't be able to get out until March to get her fixed. Thanks

Asked by Member 558822 on Jan 16th 2008 in Feline Friends

Answers

If your kitty is not mated and does not get pregnant, she can go into heat repeatedly every 2-3 weeks. This means that if your cat is in heat, you can't just keep her locked away and wait for her heat to be over because it will keep going. Unless you have her spayed, she will keep going into heat almost every month. Cats can have more than one period in each breeding season, which is now. Each heat lasts between 5 days and 2 weeks. If she is mated, her period will stop within a day but that's not a real good solution unless lots of good people want to adopt kittens where you live. The cat's "season" in the North is during the end of winter and early Spring. I don't think a cat can be spayed while she's in heat, so your timing is going to have to be pretty good.

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you

You actually can spay and neuter when the cat is in heat. Most vets will do it if there are reasons, such as a person who lives in a rural area; TNR type programs, etc. there is often a cost increase for cats who are in heat, this is due to the amount of blood in teh uterus which goes up, making a slighly more "difficult" procedure.

good luck, i couldn't imagine being around a cat in heat for that long!

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you answered on 1/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Morgana - forever my soul

I get nervous answering this sort of question but your kitty can be brought out of heat. If wish to know how, please email me at isomorphix "at" shaw.ca

It's something that my vet showed me to do for Morgana when she came into heat unexpectedly. While a cat can be spayed while in heat, it increases the risks & costs. And from your question, I take it you won't be able to get to a vet UNTIL spring. So what I explain by email will help till then.

If you're nervous & choose not to email me, I'll understand.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 1/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer