How long should it take for my 6mos old kitten to adjust to new roommate?

Yesterday my old roommate returned after being out of country since before I adopted Zoey, she is a very well socialized, friendly kitten that recently turned 6 months old. She has been very off-put by the new human, the loud noises of moving, and the new routine thus far. Is there anything I can do to help her adjust to the new person and make her comfortable again?

Asked by Member 1077347 on Dec 13th 2011 Tagged newroommate, kitten, shyness in Socialization

Answers

Yes, give her time. 24 hours is not long enough for her to be "unweirded out". Keep your own routine with her as normal as possible including meal times, grooming times and loving-on times. Make sure your old/new roommate approaches her quietly and kindly. Save "welcome home" parties for even after the Holidays if possible. That will only serve to stress Zoey out more. She may not think your roomie is her BFF, but she should accustom herself to the new routine in a week or so.