Davinci

How long should I feed my cat kitten food?

When is it safe to switch to adult food? My kitten is 7 months old.

Asked by Davinci on Feb 22nd 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

It is best to keep him on kitten food until he is a year old. They still have some growing and developing to do at 7 months and you need to make sure he has strong healthy bones and organs.

Talk to your vet or a cat nutritionist. Some say a year, some say sooner. It depends on the cat, too. I've read that Siamese cats vary from other cats in many ways, development and lifespan, included. Other breeds may vary, also.

My vet took Tag off kitten food at six months, due to fat content. Still, Tag had food allergies and that may have also played a part.

Your vet will know what is specifically best for your cat. If you aren't sure about a particular vet's view, check with other vets until you get a majority opinion. But make sure they know what breed your cat is and anything about your cat which might set him apart from others. It's best if they see him in person.

Good luck!