TINKERBELL

How long dose it take for wrom to go away in cats

How long dose it take for wrom to be gone for in door cats . some of the cats had long one and some are small rice looking one. Every 3 week we been giving them wrom med . I was told that cats can die from this is this true.? One of 3 kitten has got it bad . She 7 month old now.
she got the long one coming out of her .

Asked by TINKERBELL on Jun 2nd 2009 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Gracie

Honestly, that sounds like tapeworms. This means that over the counter worming meds will not cause her worms to go away. Most over the counter meds are not very good and can harm your cat, so stop using them.

What your cats need is to see a vet that can prescribe Droncit, a tapeworm medication. It will kill the worms in their entirety in two doses, and it is fairly cheap. At that point in time, the vet will probably also mention that fleas are the main mechanism of infection for tapeworms. Your vet can also prescribe flea meds for the kitties, this (I have found) is the best way to ensure the cats are tapeworm free.

Additionally, kittens can carry other types of worms like heart worm and the like. These too should be treated at the vet with proper worming meds that are safe for your cat.

Good luck.

Gracie answered on 6/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie is right. The only one who can give you medicine that will cure your kitties is the vet. We are not vets here, and the kitties need to go to a real vet. Cats can die from worms as they suck the blood from their insides while they are inside the cat. The worms can cause all sorts of problems with their internal organs. You do have a vet for your kitties, right? If you don't, you need to find one now and get them treated. Be prepared to take a sample of their poop in to the doctor. This is a problem that won't go away with wormers you get from the pet or grocery store and the longer you wait, the worse it will get.

It sounds like your cats may have both roundworms and tapeworms. Gracie and Izzie are absolutely right--go to the vet, with fresh stool samples (yeah, I know, yuck, and good luck figuring out which cat contributed which doo-doo to the litter box). The vet will figure out exactly what kind of parasites your cats have (generally speaking, if you have multiple cats wgo are sharing litter boxes, they will all be infected), and give you the right meds and advice--OTC meds are not very effective, and vet meds are not so expensive. We've never had tapeworms here, but my Maine Coons came from a reputable cattery complete with roundworms (probably passed on to them from Momcat's milk), and when Chibi barfed up some stuff that was still moving, I realized I had a problem on my hands. I went to the vet, got effective meds, and as far as I know, no one has worms anymore. Having said that, just to be sure, before I bred Leila and Chibi, I dewormed the whole family again, just in case.

Chibi answered on 6/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer