How long does it take prednisone to work on inflammation of bronchioles in cats?

My cat was diagnosed with asthma on 10/29/09 and was given prednisone to help decrease the inflammation in her lungs and allow her to breath easier. To my knowledge she is still not eating or drinking, but i cannot be positive. I was just wondering how long I should give the medication to work before I take her back to the vet

Asked by Member 906529 on Oct 30th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

You should begin seeing improvement within 48 hrs. If you have questions about her medical care, you really need to stay in constant touch with your vet. Response to the meds depends a lot on her environment. Of course, no one should be allowed to smoke around her. You should be using a dustless litter. Your furnace filter should be changed often to cut down on dust in the house. No kind of sprays (even hair spray) should be used when she's around including cleaning sprays, flea sprays, deodorizing sprays, etc. If she continues not to eat, you must call your vet tomorrow to ask what to do.

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22)

I agree with Izzy. Prednisone usually takes a couple days to get in your system and work. Mickey has asthma too and he is on inhalers, albuterol and Flovent. The inhalers are administrated by the AeroKat spacer and mask kit www.aerokat.com I also order his inhalers from a Canadian pharmacy www.universaldrugstore.com His inhalers cost me about 1/3 less by ordering from Canada. Inhalers are the preferred way to treat asthma. Prednisone can have long term bad side effects so you may want to discuss inhalers with your vet.

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22) answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

Please be very very proactive in this. If left untreated (or if treated poorly) this CAN BE FATAL.

If the prednisone is not having the desired effect your kitty needs more care immediately.

My kitty had to be euthanized on 10/10 due to feline asthma that would not respond to treatment.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer