How long does it take for two cats to adjust to each other?

I recently lost one of my cats and am in the process of fostering to adopt a new cat so that my cat Smudge has someone to be with. He seemed to be missing his old friend, even though they never interacted that much. I a slow week long intro for the two and he was more curious than anything. The new cat Faith did a little growling and hissing but no ruffled fur or puffy tales from either or them. The group I am adopting through is giving me 30 days which is almost up. Smudge's personality which was energetic and out going has changed, he's now a little withdrawn. Faith is starting to come out of her shell and is being a little more dominant. She's very needy and wants attention all the time. After I first gave her room to roam she and he would both sit on my lap, one on my feet and one on my actual lap. They would sleep with me at night but now he's not doing that any more but she is. I don't see any major issues but I hesitate to commit given the current situation. Any suggestions?

Asked by Member 543007 on Jan 27th 2008 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Princess

Hi we have gone through the same thing, when we adopted Ozzy for our 19yo Princess, it was an ajustment for both, she was the Boss, and he was a scared little kitten, she didn't accept him at first because we were attending to his "new environment" issues and she was jealous...We feel that letting go of the worries of their personality "before" is critical...The new cat knows that it is in a marked territory and wants to have it's own space too...Be patient and it will take as long as it takes, talk to your older cat, but don't let it feel it is #2, let the new one know that that is your baby and show the same love for both...eventually they will understand and respond...It's okay that they both have unique and different personalities, this will meld with time nothing for you to do except love them both and give them both the same playtime with you...Trust your instincts and don't give up, the older one will come around, and appreciate it's new friend!

Princess answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Princess is exactly right. I've brought a lot of "new" cats into my home of both sexes and all ages, kitten to senior citizen. It takes a while, especially when one cat is mourning. Most grown cats that you adopt from a shelter have issues. If Faith has been bounced around, she may wonder if THIS, FINALLY is her forever home. You may have Smudge under a microscope and attribute everything he does to your new home life. Cats are pretty independent. If he's still eating and using his box, then he's probably just sulking a little and like all guys, he'll get over it. The shelter knows their cats and I'm sure they placed Faith with you because they thought she would be a good match with Smudge. Call them and speak to their behaviorist, or their foster home coordinator. They will give you advice on how to handle the situation. My Ernie's personality changed when he became a big bro to Iz, also, but when I let him know he was still my sweet kitty (over and over again) he was fine.