How long does it take for a wormer to take effect in a cat?

Our female cat who is 2 years old recently started peeing outside the litter box. We have two cats and two boxes which are scooped out daily. Two weeks ago we took the cat to the vet immediately after she vomited a worm. The vet verified that it was a tape worm and wormed her. It's been two weeks since and she is still sometimes peeing outside of the box, usually on clothing that has been dropped on the floor. Will this behavior soon stop? Is this why she is still peeing outside of the box?

Asked by Member 700704 on Dec 10th 2009 Tagged peeingoutsideoflitterbox in Worms & Parasites

Answers

I don't think the peeing out of the box is a worm problem. She may have a medical problem involving her urinary tract.
Here is a page that list lots of reasons why cats may not use the litter box.
www.xmission.com

Here is a brand of litter that is supposed to attract cats to use it! It might be worth a try.
www.preciouscat.com

Good luck

Ellie is right. Peeing outside the litter box like she is doing is a sign of a urinary tract infection. Worms usually don't cause that issue. Call your vet back and tell them about thi sand they'll probably want to check her out again. If she's got an infection or some other urinary issues like crystals in her urine they can give her antibiotics or special food to treat her.

I agree that the tapeworms and the inappropriate elimination problems are probably two different things. My cats have never had tapeworms, but when they had roundworms, I got vet-prescribed medication (one large pill administered once), and he told me not to be surprised if I found worms in their feces the next day--meaning that it works quickly. One thing that could link the tapeworm problem and the litter box problem is fleas (I'm only guessing here). Tapeworms are passed on to the cat by fleas, and if you haven't thoroughly cleaned your house and treated your cat for fleas, then she may have become reinfected and expressing her discomfort by peeing outside the box. In any event, these are questions you should ask your vet. And if your cat is an indoor-outdoor cat, you can cut down on the chances of her getting fleas/tapeworms again by making her an indoor kitty.

Chibi answered on 12/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree that these are two different issues. I'd just like to add that you may want to have your other cat checked for worms as well as tapeworm eggs (which look like pieces of rice) can be passed through feces (litter box) infestation. Continue worming as directed by your vet until both cats pass stool that is free of eggs. And, your vet may want to perform a "sterile sample" collection on your kitty where a needle in inserted into the bladder for a clean sample. (Sounds worse than it is). This is the sure way to find out if she has a bladder infection.