Tyko

How long does it take for a cat to recover from rat poison?

My cat was close to death upon his arrival to the vet, and we discovered he had gotten into rat poison. He received a shot, and was sent home with K-1 and antibiotics. He has been on the medicine for 2 days now, and is still extremely weak. I've gotten him to purr for me, which he did none of for a while, but I', not sure if hes not just doing that for my comfort. He's no longer vomiting, but he has only ate a few bites of tuna over the last 2 days. He drank water on his own only once, and the rest of the time has received it by a dropper. I'm very afraid for him, and not sure of what more I can do. Has anyone had this happen to them, and had their cat recover?


Asked by Tyko on Feb 13th 2011 Tagged poisonsick in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Dahlia

I cannot imagine that a vet would send an animal home in this condition. He should be hospitalized and under the observation of a doctor. Please either take him back to the vet or have him transferred to a new vet. Also note, that purring is not necessarily a sign that they feel okay or are getting better. Purring has been observed in dying felines, and it is believed to be a method they use to calm and soothe themselves in times of trouble (in addition to purring when content and happy). Because he is not eating or drinking, he is likely not using the restroom and this alone can kill him. If he has only had a few droppers of liquid and a few bites of tuna over the past few days, then he is dehydrated and needs to have intraveneous fluids from the vet. Please call your vet/a new vet immediately. Best of luck for you both!


Dahlia answered on 2/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Kyle

Fortunately no one in our family has ever encountered rat poison, but I have had a bout of liver failure and I wouldn't be comfortable with any of my feline friends recovering from a poisoning eating only a few bites of tuna a day and not receiving any further supportive care to help them and their poor over-worked liver pull through. Appetite stimulants, force-feeding extra rich prescription canned food, and even subcutaneous fluids to fight off dehydration are all options I'd want my humans looking into if a brief full blown hospitalization wasn't an option. If your current vet is okay with things as they are I'd definitely look into getting a second opinion from a vet more willing to intervene further. In the mean time be sure to continue that K1 treatment and monitor him carefully for any signs of bleeding or anemia (pale gums) which could indicate internal bleeding and require another trip to the emergency clinic. Good luck, Tyko!


Kyle answered on 2/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

The other posters are correct. Your cat should be on fluid hydration therapy, as well as the vitamin K. Your cat could still have internal bleeding even several days after ingesting the rat poison. I don't understand why your vet sent your cat home without fluids. You need to call your vet and give him/her an update on your cat's health. I think another trip to the vet is imperative. Your cat may need to spend a day or so at the clinic and be monitored for internal bleeding and dehydratio which are both life threatening. Prayers and purrs to kitty for a speedy recovery!


Member 185886 answered on 2/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer