Sammy

how long does it take a cat to pass away naturally?

My Sammy is 16 & passing away at home with us and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this them selves how long will this be & when will I know he is close. We have been to the vet & he is aware of our choice to keep him with us during this time. He is just a call away should we need him. Truly appreciate any help in this matter. Sammy's Mommy

Asked by Sammy on Jun 15th 2014 in Senior Pet

Answers

Hello, you will know when it is time when he stops eating. If he seems like he is in any pain, then he is and you should call your vet, or if he becomes lame. My cat had strokes and the last one took out her hindquarters. When I realized she wasn't going to heal I had to put her down the next day. In the wild, cats wander off and basically starve themselves to death/die from the elements if it is in winter. ^_^

If you know Sammy is dying, you need to think very hard on if its really fair to allow him to die at home, or if it would be kinder to end his suffering for him. Beleive me I know how hard it is, and sometimes an outsiders view helps. It could take days, weeks, or even months, is that fair on Sammy? I think you can gather what I would do.

Sammy will do one or more of several things. He may become very distant and constantly hide, refuse food or water, he may become very attatched to you, he may make a ibid to get outside, or he may do nothing and just pass in his sleep. I have known a cat to become very vocal at the end too. They are all so different but they all get the same look in their eyes. Beleive me, when its time, you'll know.

When the sad time comes, please post up on here so we can offer you support in your time of need

Angel Mew (3-15-90/3-2-09)

My cats who passed away naturally all passed very easily (the majority died of chronic kidney failure) and peacefully. I always just sensed when they were getting close to passing. I always felt good that they spent their last time on earth being close by my side, comfortable as possible, secure, loved. Usually when a cat is getting close to passing, his breathing becomes more labored and he may gasp a little as the spirit fights to free itself of the body that can no longer support it. I would then hold my dying kitty, stroke his head, talk softly to him as his spirit departs the body and heads across the Rainbow Bridge.

Angel Mew (3-15-90/3-2-09) answered on 6/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer