How long does a cat stay in heat?

I have a 2yr. old cat and she has went into heat several weeks ago,although she calmed down and seemed as if she was not in heat anymore,she just a few days ago like she was in heat again. So My question is how often and how long do cats go /stay in heat?

Asked by Member 792647 on Feb 14th 2009 Tagged behavior in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

She'll keep going into heat for about a week every few weeks until she gets pregnant. Vets can spay cats while they are in heat but its a bit more risky and most prefer to do it while they're not in heat. As the others say unless you want to breed her and have people lined up to give the kittens homes you're better off getting her spayed and then she won't keep going into heat. If money is tight the ASPCA and many cat rescue places can help you with low cost spay/neuter.

Sassy (2001-2012) answered on Feb 14th.

Answers

Well, first of all, do you have a good reason for not spaying your cat? I myself have two unaltered breeding queens, so I'm not one of those people who think that every cat MUST be spayed, but unless you have a very good reason for not spaying your cat, I'd advise you to do it. Then your problems with your cat going into heat will disappear!!! Okay, end of lecture. There are different ideas about how often cats go into heat, but I think it depends on the cat and on various circumstances. My two breeding queens go in and out of heat on an apparently random schedule. In theory, cats can go into heat as often as every two weeks or so, and the heat cycle can last for a few days to a week. Depending on the cat, a female in heat can mark her territory with urine (fun!) or scream at the top of her lungs for days. Also, it is said that letting a cat experience multiple heat cycles without giving birth can produce hormonal problems. Please consider spaying your cat.

The female cat has 2-4 estrous periods every year, each lasting 15-22 days. If she is bred, estrus seldom lasts more than 4 days.

If successful mating does not occur, estrus may last for 7-10 days and recur at 15- to 21-day intervals. It is possible for an unmated female to cycle every 3-4 weeks indefinitely.

Cats also have an estrous period 1-6 weeks after giving birth, so a female may be nursing one litter while pregnant with another.

A cat can give birth to anywhere from 1 to 6 kittens. These kittens can start mating and producing more kittens at the age of around 6 months. A male cat can impregnate countless female. The original pair of cats and their offspring can produce millions of cats over their lifetime. Did you know that only 1 in 10 of these kittens will find a good home? The others, if they're lucky will be humanely euthanized. Some will be used for medical research. Others will be sold to dog fighting rings as bait. Some will die on the streets...