how long do himalayan live

Asked by Member 745923 on Oct 2nd 2008 in Breeds A-H

Answers

Himalayans and persians have the same life span as any other cat. They may start to become "elderly" at 12 or 13 but can live anywhere from 15 to 20 years depending on how well taken care of they are. I had this same question myself when I first got mine because my friend's vet misinformed her and said hers was at the end of her lifespan at 12. I got info from several breeders and himalayan/persian rescue people and several people told me that they had one that was as old as 18.

Alexandra is right. If you buy your kitty from a reputable breeder, take good care of your kitty, meaning if you take her to the doctor's regularly for check-ups and do what they tell you, have her spayed if you do not plan to breed her, keep her inside, feed her a good quality of food (not necessarily the most expensive), love her and treat her like the valued, important member of your family that she is, then she can live upwards of 15-20 years. Any breed of cat or dog may have diseases or conditions that are specific to their breed, kind of like the larger breeds of dogs can be prone to a disease called "hip displaysia", but with regular vet care, your cat's chances of suffering from one of these conditions can be greatly reduced.

Henry (1996-2010)

The Himalayan I grew up with died a couple years ago, at the age of 23! He got really skinny in his old age and his coat wasn't as pretty as when he was young, but he was still a wonderful cat and a purr machine.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 10/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer