How long can cats produce milk for?

My Cat Remi had her babies on 11/11/10. I found them all homes but 1. She stopped nursing, but has started again this week. Is it normal for cats to continue nursing? Or could she be pregnant again?

Asked by Member 1023503 on Feb 16th 2011 in Kittens

Answers

If there are no kittens around, who is she nursing? I'm not a vet, but I would imagine that if she's going through the motions of nursing a kitten from another mama, she could be producing milk again--hormones and all. In any case, if your cats are continually mating and producing kittens, it's not good for their health, nor is continual nursing. You may want to consider finding a low-cost spay/neuter clinic and having them fixed.

It sounds to me like you still have one kitten left, right? That means that this kitten is still nursing? Kittens start eating solid food at about 2 to 2 1/2 months, but will continue nursing for a while even though they are eating soft and then solid food. Usually the Momcat decides when it's time for the kittens to stop nursing and bats them away (cats aren't very sentimental). Letting the kittens nurse as long as Momcat allows it helps socialize them. I've seen various nursing patterns, but never had a queen who stopped nursing but started again. Perhaps the kitten wants security more than milk. Perhaps Momcat misses the other kittens. Perhaps the Momcat is in heat again--one of my queens let the younger cats (a year old) nurse on her when she's in heat. Once this caused induced lactation, now it does not. I've never seen a pregnant cat suddenly start nursing. Unless you're sure you can find homes for the kittens you're producing, you should consider spaying.