How long can a cat go without eating? What are warning signs of something seriously wrong?

My cat has been to the vet and diagnosed w/elevated white count. She is halfway throug the prescribed antibiotics but seems to be getting worse rather than better. She has gone from eating very little to nothing at all. In fact, she gags if I put food in front of her. Have tried liquid things too but she only drinks water. Does the Antibiotic need more time or should we get back to the vet?

Asked by Member 1151277 on Jan 22nd 2013 in Illness & Disease

Answers

I know that, on a human level, some antibiotics prescribed as a cure are worse than the illness. They can cause rashes, diarrhea and sometimes even vomiting. However, I think that whatever is wrong with your kitty is not being cured by the medications. I would not wait for the antibiotics to work (or not). If she were my kitty, I'd at least call the vet and ask what to do. Question them as to how long you should wait to see if this medication will work since she is not eating. It's not good for the kitty to not be eating and is one of the signs of something not right. You need to go back to the vet. Hope she feels better soon! Purrs!